Our employee spotlight this week is Kari Zook, Community Development Director. Kari oversees the Community Development department, including planning and zoning, development review, permits and licensing, code enforcement/inspection, neighborhood revitalization, and historic preservation. One large project Kari is helping oversee this year is updating our Comprehensive Plan, which was last completed in 2006.
When asked what she enjoys about her job, she said, “I truly enjoy the people I get to work with daily and the variety of challenges we are given. No two days are the same in our department!”
Fun Facts about Kari:
- She grew up in Beloit, KS and attended St. John’s High School. She is also a graduate of Kansas State University.
- She and her husband, Nathan, have two daughters, Brinley (13) and Aubrie (9). Their farm includes a dog, cats, pigs, cattle, and an abundance of chickens.
- Kari loves to travel and likes a good beach with all the fruity drinks! She has traveled to Jamaica, Dominican Republic, and Mexico.
- Traveling to Germany is at the top of her bucket list! She’d also like to visit all 50 states. She still needs to venture to Hawaii and Alaska.
- Her free time is filled with her kids’ sporting events and 4H activities, participating in adult volleyball leagues and working part-time at Impact Sports & Fitness. When she isn’t doing those things, she loves spending time with family and friends, whether it's shopping, walking nature trails, or attending KU basketball/volleyball games.