Convention and Visitors Bureau
The Convention and Visitor Bureau (CVB) d.b.a. "Visit Abilene Kansas" was established by Charter Ordinance 15 in 2003, along with the establishment of the transient guest tax.
The Abilene Convention & Visitors Bureau (Visit Abilene Kansas) is a department of the City of Abilene that is funded primarily through an 8% Transient Guest Tax, an additional tax travelers pay when staying in one of Abilene's hotels, motels, bed and breakfasts or lodging property through a marketplace facilitator (Airbnb or VRBO). In addition to managing the state-designated Travel Information Center, it serves as the official marketing arm (DMO - Destination Marketing Organization) of the City of Abilene and provides services to tourists and groups convening in Abilene. The goal of the Abilene CVB is to generate economic growth in Abilene, Kansas, through tourism.
Per Charter Ordinance 30, the Convention and Visitors Bureau Advisory Board shall consist of seven (7) members, who shall be appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by the Governing Body for three (3) year terms commencing on the second Monday of January.
Membership shall be comprised of:
- Owners, operators, or employees of persons engaged in the hotel/motel business
- Representatives from agencies or organizations engaged in promoting tourism, or from historic or cultural attractions in the city
- Members of the general public
- Members of other city boards
Current Members and Term
- Ross Boelling - Abilene & Smoky Valley Railroad - 2024
- Kim McDowell - Former Great Plains Theatre staff member - 2024
- Samantha Pryor - Eisenhower Presidential Library and Museum - 2025
Meeting and Contact Information
The CVB Advisory Board meets on the 4th Tuesday of each quarter (January, April, July and October) at 4:00 p.m. at the CVB Conference Room located at 201 NW 2nd Street.
Find Agenda and Minutes.
For more information or questions, please contact (785)263-2231.